Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lautes Observations

"I'm scared to have this much power!" (audience member, when given the opportunity to rotate the actors herself)

"This is really neat--I mean, I've given these people relationships. I don't know if they're supposed to have them, but I've given them to them, and they make sense. See, the singing girl is this guy's brain, and the girl with the whistle is this girl's brain, but you can switch them...but if you switch them this way, it doesn't make sense to me. But I guess it might make sense to you..." (off-duty Shunt light crew member)

"Really, really fun." (overheard regularly)

"You know, I've never been asked to do this before...not to give you a big head, but I've never gotten to affect the performance in this way." (Ayse)

"Well, see, my friend showed me how this works--you can come up, you use these things [faders], and you can change the way they act. See, (demonstrates) you can make her disappointed, (slides fader up) and now she's really happy!" (dancer from another Shunt piece)

"You can make connections in your head... I don't know what she's saying, but she could be complaining about [this guy] her lousy boyfriend!" "and the look on his face is priceless--it's like "shall I deign to perform for you?" Catherine W.

Audience member on board faded a speaker out with a finger to his lips as though to say "shh, I'm quieting you."

Audience members eyeballing each other when the board is free. Who gets to go next?

"My ego forces me to conform to the rules of the system. I would feel silly, embarrassed to step out, even when I did feel like I couldn't take it any more." Jenny O. (performer)

Even when the performers are saying something you don't agree with, or which offends you, frequently audience members will let them speak their peace, then turn them off and grumble about disagreeing with them--when they could have turned them off the whole time. "It's like we're all drawn to the macabre for some reason." (Jenny O.)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really rad. I'm bummed I can't be there.

    ReplyDelete